Let me be more concise:

If you don't have a final "thing" that you can interact with; you haven't
completed the design process.

I understand that design is more than craft (I shouldn't have been so
absolute), but I do not believe in "design thinking" in so far as you can't
design without craft. Modeling, simulations, prototypes, etc. are required.
Narrative text and flat images are not good enough when it comes to learning
how to do interaction design.

Even if the master's thesis is looking at something precise, that precision
should be about the interaction and thus should require the right level of
modeling that presents the foundations surrounding that interaction at whose
core is TIME! If you can't experience over time, then you didn't do
interaction design. Maybe the masters degree is not in interaction design
and thus this requirement is moot.

I am in agreement that it does not have to be a complete final product and I
said that implicitly by saying that I agree with Jonas' comments.

-- dave

--
David Malouf
http://synapticburn.com/