On Dec 19, 2007, at 12:51 PM, Jared M. Spool wrote:
> Why is it important that designers distance themselves from the
> evaluation side? Where is this coming from?

I'm not sure it's "important." I only distance myself from the likes
of Nielsen simply because he has never built or designed anything in
his life (that I'm aware of) and seems to go out of his way to make
my job as a designer harder, not easier, by making absurdist
proclamations to executives who want to believe his brings the truth
because they have paid him a lot of money. If he actually took the
time to practice what he preaches with useit.com, or even took more
time to learn what kinds of compromises, solutions and constraints
designers have to work with in order to actually build digital
products, I might think differently. But he doesn't. He's still
basically hurting the design profession more than he helps it, imho,
so he reaps what he sows.

However, outside of that, you have to recognize that designers are
the most exposed people in companies in terms of their work. It's the
one thing people can criticize and toss around opinions about all the
time. So evaluation tends to make our lives even more stressful than
it already is. To the degree that most of us have a really hard time
learning to dealing with it.

Let me put it this way: When I was working InDesign ten years ago
(wow.. its been that long), I was managing the next versions of
Photoshop and Illustrator at the same I was doing the design work on
InDesign. The team was in Seattle, so I had to literally wake up at
5am every Tuesday, drive to San Jose Int'l Airport, catch a 6:30am
flight to Seattle, drive to the office in downtown Seattle and get to
work at around 9:30am. I worked all day, caught the evening 8:30pm
flight back home and got back home around 11pm, only to have to do
more work on stuff I missed that day. I did this every week for
almost nine months straight.

When I was there, we'd often have a 3pm review meeting, where... I
kid you not... there were 9 to 12 people in a room to review the
design work. Product managers, QA, engineers, even tech support
folks. The purpose of the meeting was to do nothing but provide
"feedback" on the design work I was doing. So basically, it was 9 to
12 people all giving me their opinions and I had to sit there and
listen to them. Week after week. Needless to say, it got a little
much for me to deal with, especially when their opinions or ideas
went counter to the longer term design strategy I was implementing to
make the Creative Suite possible.

I don't care if people have opinions or evaluations of my work.
Everyone has an opinion and part of the job being a designer is to
deal with it, but it doesn't make us happy campers when its not done
in a way that supports designers and their work. What I need are
people who can not only give me feedback, but feedback I can actually
do something with, or ideas that can be implemented or meet the same
design constraints I have to use in designing the solution. Feedback
that I can't do anything with comes across as complaints, and
listening to complaints day in and day out can make one about as
likable as the folks who sit at the DMV processing paperwork.

So in order to get feedback from evaluations that a designer can
actually do something with, the person providing the evaluation needs
as much understanding about the problem as the designer. And I don't
mean just the "user" understanding. I mean the business, the
technology, visual, interaction, project deadlines, etc. I've worked
with plenty of researchers and usability folks who get this. The ones
who don't generally don't like me.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios