It%u2019s so inspiring to read about people's journeys into the arena
of design! Thanks to all who've shared. Here's my story...

I have always been a designer, but did not know it for many years.
I've always drawn, and imagined things that did not exist, and tried
to make the world a more user-friendly place. I love to put things
together, and was always the lone girl in the model airplane shop.
One of my fondest memories when I was living in Beijing, China from
1983-1985 (when I was 10 - 12 years old) was spending a weekend
creating a model of a washing machine that worked without
electricity...cutting up straws and taping cardboard and all that
good stuff!

My freshman year at Stanford, I tried to get into the over-crowded ME
101 course, but was bumped for being too young and writing down
"English" as my potential major. Ah, the road not taken! So I was a
Modern Thought & Literature major while studying in Paris, France
during my junior year. With a crazy guy I met there, I spent many
long nights inventing & building a novel triangular binder system
(and we design-patented it, too) as well as starting up a business
doing trompe l%u2019oeil paintings in people%u2019s homes. But
apparently my bourgeois self still didn't realize that I could make
a career out of making things....

Flash forward two years after graduating with a terribly useful
English & French Literature degree. With a go-nowhere day job, I was
charged up by doing interior design projects for friends. When I sat
down to make a list of possible career moves, I was mainly pondering
whether I should a) go to art school or b) pursue a philosophy PhD.
Then, the lightning bolt struck me: that DESIGN would unite the
creative & analytical parts of myself.

I could go on about my steps & career after that (attending San
Francisco State University for a master%u2019s degree, freelancing in
web, graphic & exhibit design, and then getting recruited by Cooper)
but this thread is about that revelatory moment. For me, it truly was
a thunderous experience to recognize that there was a professional
path that would let me imagine, create, and make things for a living.

All the different design fields that I have studied formally thus far
(interior, exhibit, web, graphic, industrial and interaction) share a
common process and approach. Practice in any makes you stronger in
all. I didn%u2019t even know about interaction design at the time of
my epiphany in 1997, but for me, this amazing field we are
championing has the perfect combination of human psychology, concrete
analysis, artistic creativity and intellectual rigor, with a nice dash
of theory & philosophy thrown in for good measure. Woo!!

Cheers,
Liz

P.S. Merry Christmas to those that celebrate such a holiday (I'm
utterly secular about it myself), and Happy New Year to all!

P.P.S. Don%u2019t forget to send in your application for a position
on the IxDA Board of Directors before Dec 28! :)