BTW, I meant Conflence as well - Jira is Atlassian's issue tracking
software.  I get all the made up words confused... :-)

I'd be interested to hear what you mean by integration with
prototyping tools - I poked around a bit, and visio has a web viewer
and axure suggests the following (which are not as nice):

http://axure.com/CS/blogs/axure/archive/2007/03/06/Distributing-
Prototypes.aspx

I just export any images either as web-friendly images or, if people
may need to see something move to understand it, as Flash.   You're
right in that they do fall out of sync, in which case you end up
having to go back in and update and rexport the images.  That's
another reason I like FW, because you can store multiple screens in a
single document rather than having to open (and keep track of) a
whole bunch of separate documents.  It's then one step to reexport
all the images (save frames as files, or save pages as files).

As far as actively managing the information architecture goes, you're
right about that - it can be quite a pain.  For that reason, as well
as printing, I have moved towards working with one very long page
rather than having a large number of cross-linked pages.  In the case
of an app that requires a lot of documentation, like a desktop app, I
will try to separate some things based on what part of the program
they are in (menus, notifications, preferences) rather than by
functionality (don't do this with dialogs though).  I initially tried
separating them by functionality, but that did not work well for the
developers, as they ended up skipping from page to page.    You need
to talk to the developers and break it out in a way that is not
disruptive for how they work.  establishing a standard naming
convention for pages is also helpful for managing a large number of
pages.

overall I would say one of my biggest complaints about mediawiki is
the lack of any built-in contextual navigation, letting you know
where you've been and where you are in relation to everything else
(breadcrumbs are a 3rd party extension).  So I have definitely had
this problem - we may well look into confluence.

Michael