I gave the mint.com site a try and agree with your colorful remarks about
its effect on the experience =].  I've designed dozens of such forms with
validation on the previous field and feel the same as you - it's a good
start but feels like it could be better.

I wonder if it would make more sense to detect when the submit button
receives focus or the user hovers a mouse over it, AND most of the fields
are attempted (if not completed), then put a little X or something over the
button with a polite message indicating that there are still things left to
do.  That would give people a chance to complete the form in their own time
(correct as necessary), let them know what's wrong all at once so they can
fix them all at once, and finish with one click at the end.

Would need a heckuva lot of testing, and I'm just spitballing, but it could
be an improvement =]

Bryan
http://www.bryanminihan.com