From: "Timothy Yeo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

: I've spent the last 4 years working in the user experience field for
websites and mobile phone interfaces. Now, I'm embarking onto a new
medium for me: consumer products.
:
: I'm looking for references, resources, books, discussion threads,
websites etc that talk about usability testing, design guidelines and
general advice for designing great user experiences for consumer
products such as TVs, kitchen appliances, digital video recorders,
household appliances etc.

Hi Tim

You might be interested in our textbook (Stone, Jarrett, Woodroffe,
Minocha: "User Interface Design and Evaluation") because it includes
discussion of some consumer products as well as web sites and
traditional computer interfaces. I think it would mostly be relevant
for the way that it supports your feeling that

(Disclosure: I get a nice warm feeling when people buy the book but
the royalties go back to the Open Unversity).

You might also be interested in 'Dynamics in Document Design" (Karen
Shriver) because she has an extended discussion of programming a VCR.
But I'd recommend it anyway for the excellent advice on design of
documents, especially those associated with consumer products.

Best,

Caroline Jarrett
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
01525 370379