I think we should "own" the design of interfaces.

In making this statement, is your intent to exclude all the other things we
do?

Not at all. I believe the interactive design “process” is, and should be, a
rich and varied process which includes a wide variety of approaches,
practices, skill sets, etc.

Similarly, the architectural design process has many approaches (from the
user-centered – such as Christopher Alexander’s “Pattern Language”, to the
Frank Lloyd Wright design-from-inspiration approach), many practices
(skyscrapers, landscape, public spaces, residential, commercial) and skill
sets (draftsmen, designers, researchers etc. – the usual span of skills
required for a team process).

But there is no question in the average person’s mind that all the
approaches, practices and skill sets involved dovetail for the purpose of
designing buildings.

If one takes a giant step back from our profession, one can see that all
design processes, ours included, that require a team (architecture,
industrial design, advertising, mechanical design, all come to mind), tend
to develop specialties. And the specialties tend to follow the same pattern:
the design team needs to know who the design is for and what it needs to
accomplish, what are the budgets and materials (whether steel or code) that
the team has to work with, and to have an iterative design process that
methodically integrates input and critique.

We would be naïve to think that interaction design/usability/experience
design is solving completely new problems. Rather, I would say, interaction
design/usability/experience design is solving the same problems as
architecture and industrial design has to solve, but we are solving the
problems within the medium of digital interfaces.

Again, if we take a giant step back from our profession and compare it to
other team design processes you will see many similarities across the
methodologies employed  – but the one thing that stands out as the
difference between our profession and architecture is the medium we apply
our design process to – interfaces.

So, I advocate that we embrace that defining difference – the medium – in
order to differentiate ourselves from other design disciplines.

The other path is to define interactive design as an approach (with specific
practices) that can be applied to the design of nearly everything. I
understand and appreciate that this is a valid way to view and promote
interaction design. My concern about that direction is that interaction
design could simply become a trend that passes, and is passed up and made
irrelevant by a newer more trendy approach.

Approaches come and go – but the medium is here to stay. Architecture
constantly evolves (new practices, new approaches, new materials, new
challenges) but the medium – buildings – remains the central purpose of the
profession.

I am advocating that we move forward with the aim to establish in the
average person’s mind that all the approaches, practices and skill sets
involved in interactive design dovetail for the purpose of designing
interfaces that facilitate rich interaction. Those interfaces can reside on
the dash board of a car, the handle bar of a really cool lawn mower, a
mobile device, a refrigerator door, or a computer – but the commonality is
that they all have interfaces that allow rich interaction.

Joseph Selbie

Founder, CEO Tristream

Web Application Design

http://www.tristream.com