On 24/01/2008, Andrei Herasimchuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2008, at 3:32 AM, Stew Dean wrote:
>
> > So get a good CMS, add on a new kind of sitemap / process flow tool,
> > allow sketching, allow me to create libraries of items with
> > inheritance (so I can set up a relationship between items, change all
> > my drop downs from my black and white version to, say, Vista style
> > boxes), allow content to be entered and managed tagged and organised.
>
> This sounds suspiciously like what we do with our custom rolled
> prototyping tools.
>
> Also, you left out the aesthetic aspect that such a product would
> need. I don't think enough people appreciate just how hard it is to
> create a tool hat does all that you want it to for the interactive
> side and can still draw sophisticated graphics like Photoshop,
> Illustrator or Fireworks. Once you toss in the need for the tool to
> handle HTML layout rules or custom layout rules...

I googled out the post that launched this post (at least it appears to be it).

http://www.jasonsantamaria.com/archive/2008/01/23/mucking_up_the_fireworks.php

In the work I do the aesthetic aspect comes a few steps down in the
interation design process (as is increasing the norm for interactive
projects), even in the most visual rich applications I've worked on
wireframes and even interactive prototypes are created either before
or along side visual design.

I agree the tool needs to be able to throw around bit maps and vectors
(good vector drawing is vital I feel for any diagraming tool) but I
would say the tool that allows easy production of graphics almost
feels like a seperate but linked tool to the one I had in mind.

It's almost like the same problem but seen from a visual design flow
rather then a user experience flow (visual design being a
complimentary role to mine) and the post does hit several nails on the
head from that point of view - you want the visual design to plug into
the logic. So if I define a widget using a few lines and even add in
the logic then this can be replaced by a hi-fi version. These elements
could have styles applied to them and again have inheritance (possibly
via CSS).

It's always worth noting that new two folks work the same way so any
tool would be able to deal with different types of skills.

--
Stewart Dean