We agree about the dangers of self-assessment, but having others
measure is just as prone to making other mistakes, in particular the
context of testing may/or may not translate into other contexts (work,
love, play, family).

Having developed personalty tests, I don't think that any 4 letter
metrics, is sufficiently detailed to describe anything but gross
behavior, but it's still quite powerful for 70% accurate.

>To use MBTI to determine an individual%u2019s
>suitability for a job or ability to perform is absolutely
>unacceptable,

While I agree it cannot be used solely, in conjunction with
IQ, EQ + SocialQ it can be used to determine how long a person will be
happy in any given position for a long duration. Of course if that's
long enough ...then you're right anything goes. There is a good deal
of research indicating the attraction of types to careers.

>nor does it predict behavior.

This doesn't match my experience, else people wouldn't be using it to
'please understand me' ;). While this may not generalize to all types,
most of my friends are predominately *NT*'s and despite coming from
all over the place,  show remarkably similar approaches to handling
problems, communicating and worldviews, that are distinctly different
from non NT's.