Will, clearly the current generation of SNAs do serve some needs ... one
doesn't have to be a researcher (or be knowledgeable about research) to
build a technology that meets a need at some basic level.  I would call this
the Mechanic/Toolsmith/Craftsman stage of technology development.  This sort
of thing can be observed in every field of human endeavor.  Even very
primitive cultures without a codified, abstracted, body of knowledge (which
is one outcome of science) are able to create artifacts that still find use
in far more sophisticated forms in more advanced cultures.

In fact, I would suggest -- and this has been my observation -- that new
paradigms of technology more often than not emerge from the greasy hands of
tinkerers (possessing tacit knowledge) rather than scientists.  The
scientist's contribution is extract theories and universal principles --
after the fact -- in such a manner that the tinkerer's invention can expand
in scope and complexity.  I don't believe that any of the tinkerers who
developed microcomputers in the 1970's (IMSAI, Altair and so on) could be
accused of secretly having acquired Ph.D.s.; on the other hand, we needed
the Doug Engelbarts, Alan Kays, Bob Metcalfes, Vint Cerfs and Larry Teslers
to up the ante.  Note that Tim Berners-Lee does not have a PhD.  (Not that I
would classify him 'merely' as a  'tinkerer'; on the other hand, Edison
probably wouldn't have objected to the label).

Stalking, imitation, and gossip perhaps are uppermost in the minds of
college undergrads, and current technology -- by accident or design --
accommodates, encourages, or allows such activities.  But here's the thing:
almost invariably, there are some functions that are part of the design, and
other 'features' that emerge through the way the tool is appropriated.
Social psychology can help explain the appropriation, plus, it can help in
consciously reshaping the designs of the tools to encourage certain kinds of
use and discourage (in a 'Slanty' manner, as per another ongoing thread)
certain other kinds of tools.  Further, the explicit soc. psych exploration
of current use, abuse, and lack of use can help a great deal in reviving the
fortunes and expanding the scope of SNAs.

Thanks for the clip on Stalking, Imitation and Gossip -- very interesting
piece.

Murli