Terrific point Jeff, and great choices of examples. Might be good to trot
out McLuhan and sense ratios, when thinking about your examples below as
well.

And, not to put a damper on the discussion or anything, but just to note,
since the mid-1990s, CMC researchers have delved quite deeply into most of
the "quality of community relationships" online, "the strength of weak ties"
and a whole host of socio-cultural issues these things raised, including the
issue of how to define a "real" community, if one can. I have a full review
of this literature in one of the more boring sections of my dissertation (
www.nutball.com/dissertation), but a livelier account of the issues raised
can be found in Stephen Doheny-Farina's book, The Wired Neighborhood (1998).

http://www.amazon.com/Wired-Neighborhood-Stephen-Doheny-Farina/dp/0300074344/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201888662&sr=1-1

I'm sure academic HCI researchers at least are busily applying all that
previous research to social networks and FOAF, rather than inventing the
wheel from scratch.

Chris