Marc Rettig writes:

[regarding Interactions '08]

>I think most of us would agree that one of the principles that underlies our
>practice is that we want to turn outward from ourselves and work from an
>understanding of, and genuine concern for, the people whose lives are change
>when our work ships.
>
>SUGGESTION
>Here's my suggestion: let's tell each other stories about those people.

Marc, thanks for this.  I wish I had thought of it, and I'm glad you did.
Here's one of my stories:

I'm working on a web site redesign for a professional association.  The members
are mostly not technologists themselves but are very savvy at using the web and
at finding and organizing information -- all important parts of the job for
most of them.  They care passionately about the quality of the association's
site and the findability of the information it contains, and we never have any
shortage of volunteers for our user studies.  They also want the site to
represent them and their profession in a highly positive light, to facilitate
networking among them, and to encourage others to enter their field.  I find
the association and the professionals it supports a lot of fun to work with.

Elizabeth Buie
Luminanze Consulting
http://www.luminanze.com