I think there is actually a gentle path from Technical Writer » Information
Architect » IxD because I see it as a journey from structured content to
structuring content (organization, flow), to flow and behavior (creating the
dialogue between people and system, people and people, people and
environment). I agree that you don't need a fancy degree - but taking a few
HCI and interaction design classes would certainly help in the "Why" and
"How" but if you do it on your own - start with the What. Decide on
something you want to design for yourself, a blog, personal site, whatever -
spend alot of time on well designed sites (web might be the easiest medium
to start with), and COPY. That's right - just find some well designed sites
- like Boxes and Arrows - and plagiarize (for yourself - don't actually post
someone else's design as your own) - the more you design like that - it will
be like muscle memory - and eventually you will be creating your own things.

On Feb 11, 2008 11:55 AM, Robert Hoekman, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I am a technical writer, and I want to be an interaction designer. How
> do
> > get there from here?
>

> At my last in-house position, the Documentation team and the UX team
> shared
> a suite. And there was one guy who would have made an excellent IxD.
> Making
> him part of my team would have been as simple as moving his desk to the
> other side of the room.
>
> Of course, if you do it on a consulting basis, it's a simple matter of
> putting "interaction designer" on your business card. ;)
>
> But seriously. It's all about the portfolio. Prove you know what you're
> talking about, and it doesn't matter where you went to school (or if you
> went to school at all, for that matter).
>
> -r-

~ will

"No matter how beautiful,
no matter how cool your interface,
it would be better if there were less of it."
Alan Cooper
-
"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"
will evans
user experience architect
[EMAIL PROTECTED]