"Yet, how do you get those 3-5 years without year 1!  Yes, I
have 3-5 years experience, but I think we all are doing ourselves a
disservice by not hiring junior folks.  If you're out there hiring, try to
consider a junior position, even as a contractor position if necessary."

I knwo businesses are out to make a profit - obviously - but I concur and
think we have an obligation, just like the old craft/guilds - since this is
a practice and craft - to bring on and train up junior and entry level
designers. We have a moral responsibility also to speak, give workshops, and
help each other grow the profession. I am not calling for anything formal
like a code of conduct, or codified practice-community volunteers - but if
we can - not only should we - we must.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Mary Austin-Keller <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think this is a serious problem with both our area and the general
> software industry.  There are so few junior job postings.  Most are for
> 3-5
> years or more.  Yet, how do you get those 3-5 years without year 1!  Yes,
> have 3-5 years experience, but I think we all are doing ourselves a
> disservice by not hiring junior folks.  If you're out there hiring, try to
> consider a junior position, even as a contractor position if necessary.
> It'll make your senior folks happier, as they can grow in their management
> skills plus ensure that when you really do need someone with experience,
> they're out there to find. Not to mention that in a few years, you'll have
> that senior person who you KNOW can do the job.
>
> Unfortunately I'm not the one who hires in my company, so I can only send
> out this e-mail and hope others can. :)
>
> Cheers,
> ~Mary
> --
> Mary Austin-Keller
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> On 2/21/08 6:59 PM, "Loren Baxter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to reiterate Dave's earlier point of a distinct lack in
> > career path.  Fresh out of college, the only two companies in
> > California I found that were willing to hire junior IxD's were
> > Google and Intuit.  Most other job postings had steep requirements in
> > terms of experience and degrees.  It's a shame that so few are
> > willing to train younger designers from the start.
> >

> > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> > Posted from the new ixda.org
> > http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=26170

~ will

"No matter how beautiful,
no matter how cool your interface,
it would be better if there were less of it."
Alan Cooper
-
"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"