Alex, the gmail solution is so 2006.
In 2007 the hip people are doing RSS.
Just let it fill your Google Reader, and then click to the web site
to do replies. you only need to go to Gmail to start new threads.

Further advantages:
Keeps list activity separate from other probably higher priority
messaging.
Easy to share (on Google Reader) by starring and sharing.
Taggable
Can ignore much easier.

As an interaction model it seems to work really well for me anyway.

I highly recommend trying it.

oh! you can subscribe to full posts or just to summaries (your
choice). You can also subscribe to people, tags, topics, etc.
(separately).

I also must add that the list is only unmanageable if you actually
attempt to read everything. I think of the list like twitter (but
better content). I can go long stretches without knowing what is
going on. I know it is there when I have time and interest, and I
just skim titles/subject lines for tags like Events & Announcements
to make sure I don't miss the important stuff. But most of the list
is really for community building and entertainment purposes (some
learning, but in an entertaining way), so "management" is not
really an issue the way I see it.

-- dave