There are tools for the appropriate places and times. Focus groups are
attitudinal and small group dynamics being what they are can skew
consensus. Perhaps not the best use for some things we do.
Ethnography and other social science approaches  towards observing
the user in the environment may be more fruitful for yielding gap
analyses in terms of need generation.

Then too, does anyone remember the often-recounted study about yellow
boomboxes vs black ones, the users said they would all buy yellow
ones, but then when asked to pick up free ones on the way out, they
all picked up black ones? I love that. Don't get me started on who
says they wash their hands coming out of the bathroom vs those who
actually do.