On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Alexander Baxevanis wrote:
> I would highlight the field that fails validation and I'd put the
> following message next to it:
>
> "This doesn't look like a [first name|last name|city]. Maybe you
> made a spelling mistake?"

I'd think the message should be as explicit as possible -- if
validation failed because there was a number in the field, the error
should say something like "Sorry, numbers aren't allowed here - please
try again."  Alexander's approach is friendlier-sounding, but could
leave users wondering why the data they entered didn't "look like" a
first name.  It seems more likely that the user would have
accidentally entered invalid characters, and an explicit message would
be more likely to help them identify what went wrong.

Of course, you may still have issues with users such as this one
mentioned by mathematician / songwriter / satirist Tom Lehrer: