Hello Gavin,
With due respect, your description of the relationship of architects and
structural engineers is so far off, I almost don't know where to begin! You are
trying to explain a computing design phenomenon with an example that simply
doesn't hold water.

I'm not arguing what Spanish architects know or are trained in. I just don't
know any architect worth their salt who thinks structural engineers compromise
their vision (and I do know quite a few of them). The closest you can get using
architecture is that architects have to be structural engineers at a macro
level, and structural engineers need to produce micro level structural design.
Architects are trained in conducting structural calculations, but are
generalists in the sense that at design-time they only need to be able to
figure out how/where the stresses are going to be, and how large the forces are
(without need for obtaining three decimals of the unit) so they can design in
appropriate structural elements. The structural engineer's job is to build on
that wide-base design foundation with detailed calculations and report back
change suggestions if the original design will falter in some respect. The same
holds true for services like sewer, electrical, and other parts
 that make architecture function.

Architects wouldn't be called so if they weren't versed in all the various
facets of building to a significant degree. To say that without being trained
as structural engineers, they wouldn't command respect from the structural
engineer is not only false, but also makes the situation hopeless. After all,
if successful collaboration requires one party to be as good at the others'
work as the others' themselves, there isn't really any collaboration.

What I agree with you on is that for Interaction Designers to be effective they
have to have exposure and some level of expertise with all various parts of
computing enterprise, and sometimes with those outside it - coding, databases,
QA, cognition, art, and so on. Otherwise it will be hard to orchestrate the
whole endeavor the way an architect does in building architecture.

But it seems that architecture is often thought to be a close parallel to our
world, and I assert that it isn't really so all the time. With overdependence
on architecture to make our case, we risk causing misinformation about both
architecture and IxDA.

IMO&E.

-Peyush

<Like the interaction designer and the developer, its a trying
relationship, where the architect often feels their vision for a
building is compromised by the structural engineer.><snip><
When a Spanish architect goes to a structural engineer with a design
and the ever safe playing structural engineer sees something that is
tricky to do and says "thats column needs to be moved out of there"
they can trump the statement with sound structural calculations,
where as the architect lacking structural engineering training,
grumbles and goes back and makes changes to the plan, with the end
result that they feel their design has been compromised. By training
the architecture as a structural engineer, the dynamic of the
traditional architect/engineer relationship has changed. The engineer
respects the architects opinion as a peer. The architect can also
create better buildings as they can push the limits of the
construction but don't break them, thus the architects vision almost
never needs to be changed.>