Well, I think the entire process should be thought of like an automobile.

Users/Drivers/Buyers should only have control over the obvious things,
AC, power windows.

You can't buy a car and then decide you want 4 wheel drive on your
convertible sports ride.

Certain things aren't interchangeable and it's a known when you go and
buy a car. If you're going to request it, it's going to cost a lot
more and take a lot more time.

Like when you order something custom from the McDonalds drive through,
what happens?
THE WAIT. c'mon I just asked for meat and a bun and I have to park and
wait for 30 minutes...

I apologize if I'm hard to follow. I do love metaphor and think of
them when I work with dev teams. Seams like I'm always being forced
into making something happen with items purchased or acquired by the
wrong people. Like being asked to wash windows with a Spatula and
quart of motor oil...and when questioning the items THEY just point at
a nice shinny clean window.

lol