You are correct, anything that isn't building the final release meets
the definition of a prototype.  Thus I find it's more practical to
have more specific terms (like mockup) to describe what I expect of a
deliverable, what it does and what it won't do.  However in the case
for questions like 'can we sort 10000 items clientside, based on the
dominate color'  generally there isn't any other term available, so I
use spike/prototype.