On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Vishal Iyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was asking from a IxD perspective (conceptually too). Say you're
> designing
> an image editing tool that will be distributed both online and as an
> installable s/w. Assuming there are no technical limitations, would they
> behave any differently from each other?

Hi Vishal, I'm not an authority but I'll do my best to answer your question.
Interested in hearing other viewpoints too.

Users of the browser-based version will push the back button every so often
- what will this do in an image-editing application? Will they be able to
bookmark specific images, or just the application entry point? Will there be
a browser history different from an application history of recently edited
images? Will you have related links or advertising in a downloadable client?
Will other websites link to your downloadable client, or only to your web
application?

I suppose the single thing most different experientially about browser-based
applications and stand-alone applications is that the browser is itself an
application; my guess is that the browser is considered to be _the_
application and your image editing app is considered a website. Even though
I should know better, I think about gmail (which I'm using now to edit this
message) in much the same way. If your web application doesn't work like
other web applications and sites, it looks "broken" even if it isn't. A
stand-alone application needs to behave with logical internal consistency,
but it doesn't need to act like a website. Does this help? All the best,

Michael