On May 2, 2008, at 5:23 AM, mark schraad wrote:

> I don't find Adobe products to be particularly user friendly

That's certainly a loaded term, isn't it? "User friendly." Which user
and what constitutes "friendly?"

> I found my self wondering if, for professional tools, there is
> greater adoption,
> product loyalty and stickiness in leaving a certain amount of
> difficulty in the UI?

Another loaded way of thinking about it. Be careful. You can't have a
good discussion approaching it this way.

Photoshop is and never was intentionally made "difficult." And to this
day, I hate a few aspects of how it does things (and always have, even
when I was working on it) but overall, it's still a world-class tool
that has not been surpassed by anyone else trying to solve the same
problems. To that end, Photoshop is actually pretty easy to a lot of
things once you have learned how to use it. In fact, Photoshop got its
start being easier to use than what else was available at the time,
like Letraset ColorStudio. Over time, as Photoshop became a mission-
critical production tool for a broad set of industries -- from print
to the web to film to even NASA research -- it started to add more and
more complicated features. As with anything that starts simply and
adds more functionality, keeping it under control can become a
problem. I personally think Photoshop has done a better job than most
containing that feature bloat, while acknowledging that is does indeed
have feature bloat.

But Photoshop was going to add more features like it or not. The
business demanded it. Users demanded it. And the nature of capitalism
demands it.

Given that, if anyone thinks they can make a rich, complicated,
industrial strength tool "easy to use" and if that measuring stick is
using anyone you may know who is not a professional in the particular
industry the tool is designed for, I wish you the best of luck on that
path to insanity. It's just an entirely inappropriate way to approach
the design problem.

Complicated things will always be complicated, by nature. Your task as
the designer of such complicated features and tools is to not make
them more complicated than they already are. But trying to make
inherently complicated things "easy to use" is really just wishful
thinking. And making them "user friendly" requires very specific
metrics on who the "user" is and what they think is "friendly."

> The thinking goes... if the process is to easy, then everyone can do
> it and it erodes my (the professional user's)
> value in the marketplace.

I know of no one who has ever said that or thinks like that. Further,
I can certainly tell you that no one on the Photoshop team ever
thought along those lines.

As for a related version of my opinion of this topic, I wrote about a
long time ago:
http://www.designbyfire.com/?p=10

--
Andrei Herasimchuk