The thing missing from this thread is that there are many possible reasons
why any given design is complex - everyone is right at least some of the
time.

To sum up the points made so far here, software is complex because at least
one of the following occurs:

1. Some users need complex control and the designers decided those were
important users.
2. The makers are lousy designers: they don't know any better.
3. The makers believe they profit from complexity and do it primarily for
that reason.
4. Engineering or business constraints make a simpler design more difficult
than outsiders assume.
5. Makers had poor designs in early versions that users acclimated to and
even though the makers know better now, they're reluctant to force their
die-hard users to relearn things.
6. Complexity is gradually added over time and the otherwise competent
designers don't realize they've lost their way until its too late.

And of course in many cases there are competing forces at work within a
single company over the design, and while some designers, marketers or
engineers are working to reduce complexity, others are not. It's always easy
as outsiders to assume there is one single person to blame at some other
company for all that's wrong, or that all the people on a particular project
were homogeneous in mind, despite knowing from our own experiences how rare
that's the case.

As one example, I've seen teams desperately trying to reduce complexity, but
sometimes failing, and a seperate group in the same company responsible for
training on that product profiting from those failures. So yes, I suppose
the training group did in a way hope for more complexity, but the designers
and engineers on the actual product were committed to work against it.

-Scott

Scott Berkun
www.scottberkun.com