I too think that Twitter is the new chat mechanism.

I have set up a twitter account http://twitter.com/ixda
If you follow that account and someone sends a direct message "d
ixda [message]" everyone who follows will get it. I'm using a
twitter app called grouptweet.com

When you send a direct message it will show up in the follower's
feed as:
ixda via @[sender]: [message]

But I can also see how "chat" is different and better for certain
things.

A "better" version of chat might be to use something like Campfire
by the folks at 37Signals. It is good b/c it allows more robust
communications but in the same synchronous manner as IRC. Just a
thought. But for now anyone and everyone is invited to follow
"ixda" on twitter.

In the end if people like different channels and the channels are
free or close to free, what's to stop people from using them. I
guess the only concern is that you "represent" the org when you set
these things up.

-- dave