On May 13, 2008, at 11:30 AM, David Mathew wrote:

Are there any good conventions for displaying a "partially selected
checkbox"? I have a tree of checkboxes and I'm trying to think of the
clearest way to show the user an indication that a parent checkbox is in one
of the following three states:

I've seen a number of conventions in use, including completely filled, partly filled, and empty boxes for 1, 2 and 3 respectively as well as black check marks for 1 and grey check marks for 2. On the Mac OS the Omni Group applications use a check mark for 1 and a dash for 2 although on Windows the latter might lead to confusion with the tree collapse and expansion widgets (Omni uses a disclosure triangle for tree expansion and collapse).

Corn Walker
The Proof Group
http://proofgroup.com/