It just struck me, I wonder how much of the resistance to it is probably
because of "Open the pod bay door, HAL."

Another freaky thing hit me the other day, very disconcerting. I listen to
public radio constantly at home, every morning. I imagine public radio has
many reasons to want to cut costs, but unlike NOAA (the automated weather
repeater you get on your weather radio as you drive through thunderstorms
and tornadoes cross-country... sometimes I just listen so I can feel like
Stephen Hawking is riding with me in the car... if I could just get it to
talk about string theory or something fun), public radio would have
REALISTIC sounding automated voice announcers, wouldn't they?

I really don't think NPR is running segues and other bits from automated
voice generators, but the trick of my ear is that I sometimes HEAR it that
way. Maybe it is in the nature of the digital signal, I don't know, but
either the fake voices being created now are being modeled on the
inflections of NPR announcers (segue announcers, not story readers, who are
clearly real people), or something about the transmission of those announcer
voices is making them sound synthesized.

I definitely have a few HAL moments while listening some mornings, that's
for sure. Except it is usually that woman's synthesized voice, more like the
411 numbers. Calm and NPR-sounding women. I'm sure they test out great for
delivering info in a style to keep us calm while we are being kept on hold.

Chris