On reflection, I've overreacted a bit. I saw this site linked from
the Smashing Magazine article:

http://www.melkadel.com/

... and it set me off. It's just not accessible *at all* to screen
readers, text-only browsers, PDAs, cellphones ... which in this case
is marginally OK, because the site is all about visual art anyway --
except that this kind of design is also not accessible to people with
impaired vision who are not entirely blind, and may appreciate the
content. I've said it before here, and I'll say it again: This is a
rapidly increasing percentage of people in the industrialized world,
because of the aging 'baby boomers' and because of the way we've
abused our eyes by sitting in front of cathode ray tubes most of our
lives. In the next 20 years, experts predict a huge increase in the
number of people with retinopathy and other vision impairments. Those
people are likely to control a fairly large share of the disposable
income that ends up in the pockets of retailers, and those retailers
are using the Web for marketing and sales.

It's great to think expansively, but I'm fairly sure we'll regret
it if we break the rules without considering why those rules are
important. You can always break any rule if you're willing and able
to pay the price for doing so. In this case, the price may be losing
paying customers if you don't do this thoughtfully. Progressive
enhancement serves everyone.

As Todd wisely notes, "it depends." I agree with Todd completely
that my strident objection to the use of handwriting were too harsh
and absolute. It can have a limited role, but I'm disappointed that
the linked article failed to hint at any drawbacks. Thanks, Todd, for
converting the heat into light. I'll try to react less, or at least
to write less when I do react.

Can 117 million people be wrong? Sure! Was the German population
right to back Hitler in the 1930s and '40s? Everything looks much
clearer in hindsight. The same is true of any social or technological
movement. I've lived long enough to perceive that
MySpace/Facebook/Twitter are an unsustainable fad, enjoyable enough
for now, and when those 117 million people find they need to be
productive to get ahead in the world, or when they start having
babies, they will just as quickly abandon this for more profitable
and urgent uses of their time. In the meantime, somebody's profiting
and I think that's just great. MySpace isn't right or wrong; they
make choices and they experience consequences.

All that said, only time will tell whether my opinions about this
have merit. My life experience suggests they do, and your mileage
certainly will vary.