One reason the trend toward PhD is growing has more to do with the level of
preparation and lack of maturity students have across the board, coming in
from high school at the undergrad level. This only applies in the US, as
European and other international education standards are higher.

I don't mean to make anyone defensive, as it isn't personal, but anybody who
has taught college for 15+ years will tell you the same thing. It is due to
an overall decline in literacy levels, an inability to really READ and
comprehend, and think critically. So many undergrads are coming to college
these days with a sense of entitlement, like they're going to get the grades
for showing up and filling the chair. Grade inflation is WAY up, and most of
y'all have probably encountered these issues with the level of
responsibility you can give summer interns. It takes 'em a couple of years
to buckle in, learn to work, and focus, and that's time most degree programs
need, just to get students up to the level they have to be at to enter the
work force, entry level.

Companies are even beefing up their in-house training programs specifically
to address this weakness in entry level skill sets. Means more work for us,
tho, cuz they need training software interaction design.

I personally chalk it up to the dominant socialization of high school
cultures, although short attention span media and multi-tasking attitudes
don't help students master difficult material and skills very well in
undergraduate majors either. I actually think it is equal parts a deficit in
literacy and maturity. So many kids (I of course am exempting hard working
adult learners, who often suffer in classes with these folks, and frequently
lose their cool if they have to be in collaborative project groups with
them, when they can't count on group members to complete even the most
ridiculously easy tasks) come to college as precious darlings of
over-protective helicopter parents, who swoop in to protest every grade
given below a B. That's why grade inflation is up so badly, btw. Untenured
faculty just can't fight that kind of pressure. Adminstrators call students
"customers," and the helicopter parents take that literally, demand whatever
they want, and get it.

So that brings us down to the masters degree becoming the equivalent of what
the undergrad degree used to be. However, many schools are having trouble
with admissions standards in their masters programs as well (perhaps less so
now, with a recession), and sometimes they lower their standards dangerously
too, just to keep their numbers up I've seen some weak grad classes at times
as well.

Across the board, tho, I usually felt sorriest for the returning adult
students who needed the credential, which is held up so high over their
heads, because they chose to have kids, or go straight to work, or are
changing careers, or it is costing them a promotion, or ding-a-ling college
grads keep getting hired above them at their current jobs (and they have to
train them--this has happened to my brother so many times it isn't funny).
It's so tough to stomach, to finally jump in and taken on that degree
barrier head on, and get in your classes, and have to sit there with
18-year-olds who think they are still in high school.

The worst thing is watching the faces of the adult learners, when they
expect to be challenged by the material in the course, as it dawns on them
how bone-headedly easy instructors have to make everything, have to spell
out every instruction, because if they didn't, the 18-year-olds would just
be lost and floundering, and then the helicopter parents would come swooping
in. I've been in that position before, and after class, apologized to the
adult students, for seemingly insulting their intelligence. It was
embarrassing for all of us.

Chris