> I'm sorry but one of the main goals of UCD is to avoid
> "self-centered" design. Once you go that route in any way, you are
> not applying UCD methods. Unless you consider users beyond your 4
> walls, it ain't UCD. Simple.

If 37signals really is designing exclusively to "scratch their own itch",
then they are the users, and it could easily be argued they are indeed
practicing UCD principles.

That said, I don't believe for a second that they can truly say they only
design for themselves. Maybe it was true a long time ago, but now that their
livelihoods depend on their customers, it would be foolish to stick to that
mantra.

Why the heck doesn't anyone talk about how Google does (today) and

Amazon has for a really long time DO use research. Google does mini
> AB tests out in the wild all the time, and so does Amazon.

So, running AB tests means they're practicing UCD? I would hope they do a
whole lot more than that.

Now, I would like to hear from the host of UCD practitioners here
> about their top of market efforts they work on and how UCD was the
> champion that got them there? and which processes they used.

What about people using other approaches on top-of-market products and how
those methods got them there? Are you interested in those stories, or do you
only care about UCD successes?

-r-