> Nice article, but it does not really address the primary problem with
> the current state of design research.

And that would be?

> You can not effectively 'gear up' and do user research in the web
> world (or any other evolving moving market). It moves to damn fast.

Agreed. Hence the discussion in Part 1 of the series about it taking too
much time.

1 That it seems expensive is not an excuse. User research is not a

cost. When done right it is an investment

Hmm. I'd rephrase that. Designing a high quality experience for a valuable
product is an investment, regardless of how you achieve it. User research by
itself is not an investment—it's a cost. If it's a cost that contributes to
the high quality user experience, then your right on, but it often doesn't.
In fact, it can have a negative affect on the user experience for people
outside the researched audience, and even those within it.

2 That others don't do it does not fly either. User research leads
> directly to opportunities for marketplace differentiation... which
> leads to larger margins. Again, increased profit can be a pretty good
> motivator for MBA's.

Sure, but there are other ways to achieve market differentiation. User
research is one way, not the only way.

> 3 Most market leaders fall (when they fall) at the hands of disruptive
> model upstarts. User research can expose features that users do not
> have an interest in.

Then how is it that these disruptive upstarts, who often have no time or
money for user research, are creating products so great that they're causing
market leaders to fall?

-r-