First time post!

Recently I've been reading / hearing / conversing about how to identify your target demographic and what constitutes secondary research and the difference between that and marketing.

I have heard several different views from clients / contractors and employers from basically - the company does user research for everything including information serach into the broad scope to identify demographics and revenue - to that of marketing who identifies the demographic and user researchers "deep dive" into the user types, tasks etc.

Does anyone have any views on this? What should be defined by marketing and what is secondary research? Who should define the scope of users e.g. for our website we are targeting X user type? and what happens when the scope is very broad? What would constitute reliable secondary research when no marketing is available?

Just a few thoughts to get the ball rolling ;)