Hi Markus,

I sympathise with your dilemma as it is close to my own experience. I
did quite a theoretic MSc at the university, based on computer science
with some multimedia stuff thrown in. But I hardly got experience to
create actual interfaces. In the Netherlands we have now quite some
interaction studies, but not at university level - something called
"hogeschool", which is higher vocational education. I might have
done that, thinking back.

Even though, it is much more important to build up a portfolio. This
can be done through your study ideally, or by doing jobs while you
are studying. A internship guy really impressed me by the amount of
experience he already has, while he is still studying! This is an
important thing for future employers. In design, people need to have
some visual proof of what you are capable of.

Only if you envision an research career, would I focus on more
theory...

-- Liou