Two suggestions/hints...

Talk to an academic advisor at each of the schools to get their
opinion on the courses that would be fit for all of your future
interests. They will also have info on the careers of the alumni, so
you can see the types of jobs that graduates have been able to get
immediately and also after 5  years.

When I was in grad school, I tried to target the more theoretical
classes. My reasoning was because there would not be another chance
for me to go back and learn that stuff. Maybe I'm misunderstanding
what happens in a more design-based program, but much of it seems
like it's very practice based. And I can practice on my own.

Also, why do you feel that the program you're in is not right for
you?