For what it's worth, in my experience lawyers are much better than average
users at forming boolean searches - they do it often in eDiscovery and
literature searches. (I've done a couple of eDiscovery applications and in
testing, the level of sophistication around searching was very high.)
The way these types of searches are usually run is to create a group of
result sets, and then manipulate the sets. So, for example:

- licensed in state = California -> Set A
- type of law degree - JD -> Set B
- In A and B -> Set C

Now, for folks not experienced in searching, I still think Kayak does an
amazing job with its checkboxes and sliders.

Michael Moore
Pure InfoDesign
Mill Valley, CA

Michael B. Moore • Pure InfoDesign • 415.246.6690 M • www.pureinfodesign.com