This might not be what you wanted, but you could always test this. It
won't take many resources - just see if people get confused if the
categories' contents are not mutually exclusive, or if they get lost
trying to navigate around. In some cases, my guess would be that it's
okay to have some items at different levels, but on others it would
not. This could be a tricky one that needs each item considered
individually if you want to get it spot on.

It might even be worthwhile running a card sort on the sub-categories
to get the best idea of which super-categories they fit into (I'm
assuming you haven't already - apologies if you have). It's a quick
and easy (ie, quick and fast) test to run. Card sort results should be
enough evidence to show how other people (ie, customers) might
categorise items and be close enough to get the job done quickly.

Apologies if this isn't what you wanted.