> Are you moving the user forward progressivly in a linear fashion towards a
> goal such as a guide or a cart&register flow? Is there no particular good
> reason to go back other than e.g. to correct mistakes?

Yes, this is a multi-page form similar to a checkout process (can't
put it all on one page as some choices affect the screens that will be
displayed later).

> It drives me *nuts* when blogs have "older posts" to the right and "newer
> posts" to the left. I don't care which blogging platform it is or how
> popular it is. It's wrong wrong wrong.

It depends whose time you're referring to. Reading down the page
usually corresponds to 'forwards' in the user's time but 'backwards'
in the blogs' chronology. Similarly the next page after the front page
is forwards in the user's chronology (it comes *after* the front page)
but backwards in the blog's chronology.

To be honest I prefer having 'Older posts' (i.e. next page) to the
right and 'Newer posts' (i.e. previous page) is to the left.

Interestingly The Wordpress blog does it this way but Matt Mullenweg's
blog (creator of Wordpress) does it the other way.

http://wordpress.org/development/ vs. http://ma.tt/

> Finally, you might stop for a moment and consider whether you
> actually need an explicit back button. Maybe you do, but in my
> experience users go for the actual browser back button much more
> readily if they need to go back. Make sure this doesn't break your
> form.

I think some (many?) people have learned that clicking 'Back' during a
checkout process or similar can often cause problems so having an
explicit "previous" button can be helpful (though, of course, the back
button should also work).

Cheers,

  Tamlyn.