From: Brett Lutchman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Caroline, I will however try your recommendation with moving the Previous
to the left side because as you state, I have already captured the point
with the Next button being vertically on the top.
In my next opportunity to do this, I honestly will.

As you've discovered, there often isn't one absolute best practice. It's a
question of balancing:
(a) the advice you get
(b) - more important - the business goals you want to achieve
(c) - and in my view the most important - what you find out from real users
when they use it, both in real life and in usability tests.

>You have taught me something here. I made adjustments to best practices
because I wanted to be more effective. However, In my adjustments and effort
to being more effective, if I can simply reorder my process back to having
the Next on the right (based on proven studies), but yet keep my vertical
separation- how much more effective will I be by amalgamating best practices
and my innovations?

I wouldn't put Next on the right. I'd keep Next right where you have placed
it, vertically under the left-hand end of the fields.
But I do agree with you: it's always worth continuing to experiment with
different approaches, test them with some users, accept that sometimes the
various advice and/or one's brilliant idea doesn't actually work with your
users for whatever reason.

> Caroline if this works, when I take over the Internet I'm putting you 2nd
in Command.
Steady on! (blushes) It's just a form, it isn't a solution to famine or
anything :-)

Caroline
Caroline Jarrett

Effortmark Ltd