Thanks Caroline,
and just to recap, I'm not saying that I'm right. I'm just saying that based
on my tests, and personal experience, I have determined that my approach has
been the most effective for me personally.
I don't really want to offer the Previous as a choice to my users, even
though it is available.
I want my users to say "I want to take a step back or cancel but I can't do
it with out jumping over this huge Next call to action button on the left.
Who the hell put this thing here!"
(This is all part of my plan to take over and rule the Internet, and when I
do, everyone who agreed with me will be on staff.)
In all honesty, I may be playing dirty by the tactic I'm using- but it
pleases the clients.
One thing I've learned is that even though all the best practices and
studies appeal more to the end-users, I have learned to please the clients
more by bringing their missions up front to make them feel that I have
captured their intentions, and without compromising the integrity of
appealing to end users with proven best practices.
After all, best practices and studies are in place to make the end users
happy and as a result, making the client happy as well.
I just like to make the client happy first by making their processes very
easy to move forward, and a little uncomfortable for the end user to move
back.

Caroline, I will however try your recommendation with moving the Previous to
the left side because as you state, I have already captured the point with
the Next button being vertically on the top.
In my next opportunity to do this, I honestly will.
You have taught me something here. I made adjustments to best practices
because I wanted to be more effective. However, In my adjustments and effort
to being more effective, if I can simply reorder my process back to having
the Next on the right (based on proven studies), but yet keep my vertical
separation- how much more effective will I be by amalgamating best practices
and my innovations?

Caroline if this works, when I take over the Internet I'm putting you 2nd in
Command.