Yes, thanks Bryan, that actually supports my point, and I was thinking along
those lines too. Often, keepers of online social spaces presume that because
there are costs for hosting, supporting, upgrading these spaces, they MUST
be revenue-focused, as if revenue is the deeper goal, underlying all social
associations.

But public spaces, discourse spaces, commons, all incur costs, if nothing
else, for bathroom cleaning, litter, etc. AND they can also offer support
for revenue-producing activities (kiosks for fliers, street musicians with
their little cans for money, concerts, speakers, etc.). Revenue is not
necessarily excluded from the commons, but is not allowed to intrude upon
the "commons" part of it.

An odd example of what happened to town/city social spaces (and is in many
places currently being un-done, as it was terrible) was the "mall-fication"
(malification? lol) of the marketplace, removing it from the commons and
placing it in a suburban private, enclosed space, highly controlled, with
security guards, accessable only by transport, etc. This was a massive
encroachment on the idea of a Commons, with little counter movement on
behalf of publics, to advocate for the preservation of these kinds of
spaces, rather than the rampant privatization (and class-divisions,
political and civic speech exclusions) of mall spaces.

Some of the effects of those exclusions led to a good deal of the migration
online, to online commons, as the public, civic, and political needs sought
a new outlet. But we must not presume that the hosts of the new online
spaces have civic and political needs in mind, and have to guard such needs
as strongly in these spaces as we have to work to reclaim the Commons in the
face to face world as well, as an open, democratized space for all, and not
privatized, class-segregated, censored spaces.

Chris