On Oct 1, 2008, at 9:06 PM, Paul Eisen wrote:

There's a general perception that users *want* global navigation, but
if you spend any time watching folks on sites, you quickly realize
they are *only* interested in local navigation -- how do I get from
*here* to *where I want to be*?

So, any effort to add global nav to a page is a senseless waste of
pixels.

Jared, typically when I read your postings, I find myself nodding my head a lot in agreement. Not so this time. Am I misunderstanding what you mean by global nav? Research conducted at a now-defunct company I worked for in the dot com days (Immersant) showed many users commenting positively on seeing the full extent of the navigation - both global and local. Users appreciated gaining a sense of the scope from the global navigation, and, if it's comprehensive, engenders trust. I wonder if that's changed in the past 8 years. But even if it has, IMO the existence of the global nav still plays a critical role in enabling the user to navigate from "here" to "where I want to be" reliably and with confidence.

I know. People think I'm nuts about this. If you join that crowd, you'll be in the majority. Take comfort in the numbers.

Here's the logic:

The Big Assertion: Users are looking for something specific on the site.

If the user is on the page that has their specific target, then they don't need *any* navigation (either local or global).

If the page they're on doesn't have the target content, then they need to find scent (a link with good trigger words) to that content.

If good, clear local navigation gets them to target content, then they don't need any global navigation.

It's only when the local navigation fails that global navigation comes into play. If the global navigation has great scent, then the user will be ok. But, global navigation is usually pretty general ("Products", "Solutions"), so it's only a process of elimination if it works at all.

If users are telling you that they really like your global nav, it's probably because your local nav is really poor. If your local nav was great, then the users wouldn't pay any attention to the global nav.

(Of course, if users are going to completely scentless elements, such as Search or the Site Map, it's probably because the scent is practically non-existent for their target content.)

I don't know how you measured that "users appreciated gaining a sense of the scope from the global navigation", but when users are actually *using* a site, the #1 way to engender trust is to get them to their target content quickly (and make sure that content satiates their needs).

Again, I'm in a minority with this opinion. I've only come to it from watching a couple of thousand people work with sites. There are millions who I haven't watched, so, I'm probably missing a big piece of the data. :)

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED] p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks