On Oct 2, 2008, at 7:42 AM, Paul Eisen wrote:

Jared said,

The Big Assertion: Users are looking for something specific on the site.

If the user is on the page that has their specific target, then they
don't need *any* navigation (either local or global).
If the page they're on doesn't have the target content, then they need
to find scent (a link with good trigger words) to that content.
If good, clear local navigation gets them to target content, then they
don't need any global navigation.

Yes, this makes sense. And as a philosophy it provides good incentive to anticipate what they users could possibly be looking for, so the designer can provide those options locally. However, often there are just too many things the user might want to do, and in my experience it's usually not possible to anticipate them all.

Yes, but that's a problem with research. Perfect research (which, like anything perfect, is only an ideal) would anticipate all the needs and inform the design thusly.

The designer could set a target of attempting to satisfy x% of the navigation needs with local nav (x = 90%? 95% 99%). But for those fringe needs, the global nav does provide the backbone to enable the user to explore with confidence. Exploring with confidence also offers the advantage of serving up options that were not originally considered or "needed" by the user, but may offer opportunities for value exchange. So the global nav may help squeeze a little extra value out of the site, for those users so motivated.

Which is why we say that site maps and global nav is a 'design cop- out' -- something you do because your research and design process is flawed. Resorting to a cop-out isn't evil, it's just a necessity of having limited time and resources.

However, the designer should know they are copping out and walk away feeling that, with more time and resources, they would've gone for a better design. More importantly, subsequent designers should look at those elements, realize their necessity and cop-out-ness and not make stupid assertions like "the best sites have site maps so we should too."

I don't know how you measured that "users appreciated gaining a sense
of the scope from the global navigation"

Users viewed various home-page design styles, one of which provided a structured overview of the web site 3 levels deep. Users consistently chose this home-page design style over traditional styles (e.g., big hero image, a few key links, main nav).

So, if I understand this correctly, this was based on presenting designs and asking opinions. We know, from a ton of experience in researching design, that this method of measuring doesn't reflect any results from performance-based measures. What users say they like and what they actually do with the site are two different things.

When we measure trust and satisfaction in performance-based experiments, we find these two attributes are highly correlated to task completion -- the more the user completes their task, the more they say they trust the designer/design owners and the more satisfied they are. This is different than when we do opinion-based evaluations, where trust and satisfaction come from other attributes.

This is why MySpace and Craigslist proved so popular, despite the design world's sense of fugliness.

Sure, there's the local-nav argument: they could drive right where they needed. But their comments were consistent and revealing. They pointed to the fact that seeing the full breadth of the scope, structured in a way that made sense to them, gave them confidence that the site had what they needed, and was comprehensive. Subjective ratings of "trust" were highest for this design style, as were reports of the probability that they would return.

Ah, the problems with observations and inferences. I contend your measurement instrument was highly flawed, so I wouldn't put so much weight into your measures.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :)

Jared