William -

I hear ya. As a designer who cares deeply about experiences, I too sought to effect the change you speak of (in fact, for the last 15 years)... but gave up this past Feb. Glad to hear you're still willing to carry the torch because someone needs to carry it.

I can tell you this... SAIC (my old company) has a contract with an organization in the Camp Springs / Andrews AFB area of Maryland... they're trying to hire an information architect, but the job description reads like it was written by someone who isn't as plugged into the topic as a candidate would hope. I might consider it as a stepping stone to a real job, but... I moved to california back in March.

I would start an inter-office, inter-company, inter-agency online community (welcoming anyone involved with software development) that's purpose is to foster knowledge-sharing. You might even be able to do it using DKO - in fact, I'd recommend that as a means to legitimize and advertise. In fact, there might be such a group already.

Best of luck.