Emerson wrote that a "foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little
minds." Unfortunately it's my experience that stakeholders don't
appreciate being called hobgoblins... Or foolish. Or little, or
really any of those things. But it might make you feel better.

This is partially a problem of framing. If the battle is in terms of
consistent vs inconsistent, you've already lost. Because of course
inconsistency is vile. But if instead of inconsistency you're
talking about contrast, then you're working within a more flexible
framework. It's no longer binary.

More broadly, I'd say it's about being able to articulate your
design decisions. If your button (looks inconsistent/provides
contrast) then explain why this is necessary. Maybe buy a book like
Universal Principles of Design to back you up.

Finally, if it tests well then all the principled arguments against
inconsistency are moot. Does your design work?

// jeff