The reason for being consistent is to improve usability.  If you are using
the word "or" you have a problem.

Try asking the stakeholders why they want to be consistent. If it's for the
sake of consistency, that's a circular argument and their brains have turned
off. Time for an intervention.

In the case of social networks, Randy Farmer just gave an excellent talk
that suggested mindless consistency is death, and context is king
http://thefarmers.org/Habitat/2008/10/context_is_king_lessons_from_o.html

It's like simplicity; be as consistent as possible and no more.  If you had
to choose between being appropriate and consistent which would you choose?

Also excellent: the downside of standardization (a.k.a. consistency)
http://www.graphpaper.com/2007/02-05_the-holy-grail-of-information-architecture