Activity/usage drives the interface. If usage demands a new element or
a changed element (reducing consistency) then you have to follow.

Check out epinions and to some extent amazon, and most e-commerce
retail sites...they often put the consistency of the interface above
the needs of the content/context, and the result is a template that
all content is poured into. We don't shop the same for each kind of
product, so why are our interfaces for them all the same?

I would also agree with Jeff that when you talk about consistency vs.
inconsistency then you lose. Talk about usage...what are people trying
to do and what is most important to them at that point? Have the
activity drive the design decisions if possible.

And, to that end...if you're using other people's research
(whitepapers, etc) to back up your design decisions, then you might
not be doing enough research yourself...