hi billie,

in france ergonomie is still the leading practice, coming from classic
ergonimics and having emerged to cover the usability dimension in
interactive systems of all kinds (web, hardware, software ...)

but there is an increasing awareness of the difference between usability
and ixd/ux in general - these links should give you a good starting point
to follow the discussion (depending on your french skills :)

http://www.designersinteractifs.com
http://www.netvibes.com/ergoihm#Ergo_IHM

if you would like to discuss this further, don't hesitate to contact me
off-list.

best regards from paris
milan

--
||| |  | |||| || |||||||| | || | ||

milan guenther * interaction design
p +49 173 2856689 * www.guenther.cx

On Tue, October 14, 2008 21:41, Billie Mandel wrote:
> Hey folks -
>

> I guess today's my day to open my trap on IxDA, which I haven't done in
> ages (*waving hello to everyone*)
>
> So, question of the day:  what can you guys tell me about the state of
> our field in France?
>
> Back story:  In my years in this community and on this list, I've met
> designers from many other countries, but never from France. And now I've
> got a new job building a design organization in a largely French software
> company. From my as-yet-limited observations, it seems as though there
> are experts in "ergonomie" - which appears to be synonomous with
> usability - and then there are are front-end developers. The actual
> design of the product seems to be either a collaboration between the two,
> or something done by the developers based on guidelines produced by the
> /ergonomie/ folks.
>

> What I'm wondering:  Is this observation generally applicable to the
> practice of UX in France, or does it vary between companies or
> sub-sectors (software vs web, mobile vs desktop)?
>
> Any insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
>

> Cheers,
> - Billie
>

> *********
> Billie Mandel
> Director, User Experience
> Purple Labs S.A.
>

> This message, including attachments, is intended solely for the addressee
> indicated in this message and is strictly confidential or otherwise
> Privileged. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for
> delivery of the message to such person) : - (1) please immediately (i)
> notify the sender by reply email and (ii) delete this message and
> attachments, - (2) any use, copy or dissemination of this transmission is
> strictly prohibited. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet
> email messages of this kind, please advise Purple Labs by reply e-mail
> immediately. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in
> this message are not given or endorsed by Purple Labs unless otherwise
> indicated by an authorized representative independent of this message.