On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:35:39 +0200, Rein wrote:

>in my daily work as an interaction designer I mostly create wireframes and
>support the visual designers in their creation of the visual design for
>these wireframes.
>
>I notice though, that there is a strong dependency on how/if the interaction
>will work and the (eventual) visual design.
>
>My question: can an interaction designer create great working interaction
>without having visual design skills?

My interpretation of your question is that you create black and white
wireframes and layouts, which creatives than apply visuals to.

If this is correct, and having read most of the responses so far, my
comment is, ho for goodness sake, OF COURSE.

An effective user interaction is a combination of the interaction
design (within my understanding of what you mean by it), and the
creative/visual design that is then applied to it. If either don't
work,  then the end result will be worse. Depending on the context,
one or the other may be more important.

So to say that one, or the other, is what makes or breaks, misses the
point.

*    Nick Gassman - Usability and Standards Manager - http://ba.com *