What an excellent elucidation this was, Jeff. Here is another quote,
which gets the message across:

"Architectural patterns are the antithesis of the pre-fab building,
because context is of absolute importance in defining the actual
rendered form of the pattern in the world" -- Christopher Alexander
(1979)

It is more polite than the self-evident and true Emerson's quote.

--
Oleh Kovalchuke
Interaction Design is design of time