[Originally appeared on IAI's mailing list. A couple people suggested I post
this here, to IxDA's discussion list, and provide a little more context.]
<context type="more">
If you didn't see Jared Spool's keynote at the IA Summit earlier this year,
you missed an interesting perspective on "user-centered design". One of my
main take-aways was that the key ingredient to a successful design team is
not a solid, formal methodology. Instead, it's that the design team shares a
common vision and the designers have a set of good tips and tricks to draw
from.
</context>

Ever since Jared's keynote in Miami, I've been thinking about the tips,
tricks, and techniques for information architects.
For me, the exercise is about excluding (a) rules of thumb (which generally
don't account for context) and (b) techniques pertaining to interface design
rather than internal structures (because there are already a lot of UI tips
& tricks).
I've compiled eight (a good number!) of them. I'm using these as the first
"chapter" in my revised Intro to IA class, so if you've got good (or bad or
contrary) examples of these techniques, I'd love to see them!

Paradox of choice: It is more difficult for users to choose from many
options.
Context through content: Exemplars can clarify categories.
Plain language: Jargon-free language tends to have the longest reach.
Multiple front doors: Any page on the site may be a "home" page.
Scale and growth: Expect content to grow and create navigation systems that
accommodate growth.
Multiple wayfinding systems: Give users more than one way of finding
information.
Abstraction, templating, modularization: Sites are composed of templates and
components.
Progressive disclosure: Reveal bits of information at a time to create a
strong scent.

I'm less interested in discussing the merits of Jared's findings. Whether or
not you're a strong proponent of formal methodology or not, having a set of
design principles (to borrow a term from Leah Buley's talk) seems important
in any situation. While these can vary from project to project (accounting
for specific contexts), I do have a core "platform" that drives most of my
thinking.

Looking forward to your thoughts!
-- Dan

--