Sometimes it is worth just showing the Terms and Conditions for the
purpose of capturing the user's click-through that makes it all
worthwhile.

It is impossible to make certain that users will read the terms and
conditions. However, with the applications I have worked on, it seems that
the act of acknowledgement of the terms and conditions covers the bases as
much as the actual reading. What the acknowledgement does is provide an
indication that the user was presented with the terms and conditions, and
when they sign off on them, we capture that in a database so that we have
proof of the acknowledgement. This is very important to us because we are
usually telling our clients that if they use the information to trade, and
the application is just for reporting, for example, they do so without our
advisement and approval and basically, they shouldn't. If we have captured
their acknowledgement, then we have at least some proof that it was seen.
In the event of a major feature update, we re-release an updated
acknowledgement and force it so the user has to accept it again. We
capture this as well, so we have some modicum of protection.

As to the usability of the document itself, that is really up to the
involvement of the Business and Technology teams working on the document
with Legal and Compliance. I have been involved in many of these meetings
and have found Legal and Compliance very much willing to make the right
statements. Oftentimes it is the lack of Business and Technology's
involvement, in asking questions and explaining exactly what the
application or site does and where the holes might be, that leads them to
provide a "form" statement. Legal and Compliance wouldn't allow anything
to be released if they had their druthers, because that is the ultimate
protection.

Jennifer Vignone
User Experience Design
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Andy Polaine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
10/27/2008 09:19 AM

IxDA List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc

Subject
Re: [IxDA Discuss] Terms and Conditions with a twist

It's such an insane way of thinking about T&Cs though because it
assumes people actually read them. Nobody does. At least nobody that I
know.

I once told a legal team from a bank that calling the legal info
"important information" was terrible because it isn't important to
anyone except other lawyers. Certainly not someone using the website.
They agreed to "legal information" on the button instead, which of
course meant nobody read it but they were covered.

Sigh.

p.s. To answer your question, sort of, Apple's installers do something
similar. They show a screen of legal cack, then when you just hit
continue it pops up an "Accept" "Don't Accept" alert that you have to
click on one of to continue.

Best,

Andy

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Andy Polaine

Research | Writing | Strategy
Interaction Concept Design
Education Futures

Twitter: apolaine
Skype: apolaine

http://playpen.polaine.com
http://www.designersreviewofbooks.com
http://www.omnium.net.au
http://www.antirom.com

Generally, this communication is for informational purposes only
and it is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase
or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation
of any transaction. In the event you are receiving the offering
materials attached below related to your interest in hedge funds or
private equity, this communication may be intended as an offer or
solicitation for the purchase or sale of such fund(s).  All market
prices, data and other information are not warranted as to
completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice.
Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect
those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

copy format. Thank you.
disclosures relating to UK legal entities.